6 years cancer free, please donate $6 to the Lance Armstrong Foundation!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day 9




Sorry about the delay, but we didn’t have WIFI the last days but I did keep up the writing so this should be plenty to read for everybody.
Today started in Garnet and about 100 miles later we arrived in Columbus, both in Kansas. The originally planned finish town didn’t have a hotel.
The day was a beauty; no wind this morning and a blue sky. I started off nice and early and the speed was around 25-30km because of the limited hills and good quality roads.
I had 100km in my legs when we stopped for lunch at a gravel road under a tree for much needed shade. We hadn’t seen very many cars so far but now everybody decided this quiet gravel road was the place to be, so dust was added to our meal! Close the peanut-butter quick, there’s a garbage-truck coming!
After lunch it was time for dad to join me on the road, a few adjustments to the bike and we were ready to go. The road even had a nice shoulder for a long time so we were able to talk a little. Than came the railroad track! Unexpected and very uneven, BOOM, I felt my back tire go! Good thing Peet and mom just arrived to check up on us, like the cavalry just in time!
I changed my tire: which had 2 large slits in it, and Peet got ready to take dad’s place on the other bike. We got on the road only to discover that the other bike had a flat as well! Stop the engine and take out the pump again, change number 2. This time mom did take some pictures a job nicely done.
Peet lead the last 9 miles to Columbus where we are staying at the Maple UnCommon Inn, down town Columbus. Thank you for yet an other free night stay, this place is great! The interview with the local paper is set for tomorrow morning 8 am.
This was a great day!
Sis

12 Comments:

  • At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very excited for the update, now I can get my map out and see where you are! I keep sending good thoughts your way. GO ANNEMIEK!!
    -Aimee K.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am standing on the side of the road with that dry erase board...it says " -------> " Pointing towards Texas.
    Lisa K

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So glad you have blue skies and a batch of tubes. You guys must be having a blast!! I'm so glad you're sharing your adventure. I think of you often during the day.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    xox,
    Julie

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear from you again, it feels very modern to follow my entire family on line. Yesterday I attende to a presentation by Mary-Claire King, a geneticist who is famous for being the first to describe that breast cancer can be hereditary. She will receive this year's Heineken price tomorrow. One of the things she pointed out was that exercising is definitely a protective factor when it comes to breast cancer, so keep on moving!

     
  • At 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the updates and the picture of your dad. How amazing that your folks can share this with you. Glad the weather is behaving -looks like showers are predicted for Columbus,hopefully you will be so outta there! Stay strong and healthy...and smiling that great smile of yours (watch out for bugs though).

     
  • At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear that the wheels are still turning....even with a few minor set backs!! May the sun keep shining and the wind stay at your back.
    Angie D.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Door je levendige verslagen lijkt het of ik je ken, al heb ik je nooit ontmoet. Je doet een geweldige job en bent een voorbeeld voor anderen. Je ouders zullen ongetwijfeld goed reisgezelschap zijn. Houd vol! Veel groeten voor jullie allemaal. Anneke de Nooijer

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok-so funny thing--I had a dream last night that I was going to ride with you part of the way. You came to my house to get me and I was so unprepared--it started raining and I didn't have a jacket-Why am I dreaming this?? Good to see your updates and glad you guys are doing well. Thinking of you often and bragging about you to everyone:)
    Jenny S.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Ominniek, Unfortunately your work schedule has been changed. We need you to do a late cpm this friday and all of next week. So you will have to turn around and come back. Thanks for being a team player. Kirby.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are doing great!! It's fun to read your story. I'm so glad that you haven't been rained on too much! Some of the wound care patients heard you on the radio. We're all so proud of you. Good luck and keep it up!!
    Jen Q

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kirby,
    Recheck the schedule. You are the next one up for cpm duty.

    Stay cyclic Annemiek ... no matter what Kirby says!

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You amaze me!!! Jacqui

     

Post a Comment

<< Home